Hej på er, familjen! That literally translates to "Hi on you (y'all), family!" I guess it is kind of like saying "Hey there" in English. I think mostly middle-aged or older people say it.
It has been a fun week! Spring has finally sprung here in Örebro and I haven't heard any complaints on the subject. The grass is amazingly, brilliantly green. Oh, that reminds me of something kind of funny. We were cleaning the church building with the ward on Saturnday morning and when we were done with the inside, we moved on to the grounds. Swedish people love to work in the dirt I think. So this is the work we did: Vedel, our really funny (he talks really deliberately and says "Hej" and nods again and again until he is satisfied with the greeting) and AMAZING ward Mission Leader would wheelburrow us over some dark, rich dirt. Then, he would dump it out into little piles. Our job was to redistribute this onto parts of the grass around the church that was not growing so well. It felt very funny. So, we'd take some up with our shovel and then place it in random spots...and hope we were doing it well... ha. We kind of would look around awkwardly to see how they were all doing it. Delicate work. So, now there are patches of dirt on the lawn. We must have done okay because Vedel kept saying, "Duktig, Syster Page! Very good! Ni är dukitga, systrar!" (duktig= clever/smart/good at something).
We had dinner with the Kodia's. They are from Congo and have lived here for about 15 years. They speak French and Swedish. They had a guest staying with them for like a school thing from France. He was funny and I was trying to imagine what it would be like to be around people like him for an entire mission. He was a bit cuckoo-- like the sounds he would make or something about his mouth and when he was playing with the little kids he'd just be goofy/weird. It was funnny. haha I was thinking that Swedes are probably weird too, but I don't know. Anyway, I could understand a lot of their French (well, when the African's were speaking) but then I could not respond. It comes out Swedish. That's okay. It was just blowing my mind a little bit.
We taught this young man yesterday, Norov. He is from Mongolia but grew up here and speaks perfect Swedish and English (and Mongolian. That goes without saying, Tracey). He met us at the Church for the first time. He had met with other sisters, but it had been almost two months since he was taught. He is really busy with school and work. So, we talked to him. He said he had always been atheist, but he just wants to learn about Christianity. We talked about some of the blessings we have in our lives because of our knowledge of God. Then he said something really cool. He said that he wasn't trying to see if there was a God so that he can get something in return, or that he can kind of grant his wishes or something. He said, "I just want to know the truth." I was impressed with him. He thinks about things, and he isn't quick to be disbelieving, even when it is hard to imagine or understand. We watched the Restoration video. We emphasized the Book of Mormon and how answers and knowledge of the truth will some by reading that book. He even prayed at the end of the lesson. It was awesome. He is really sincerely trying to figure it out. The truth is powerful. I am so glad that I can say with confidence and conviction that what I have to offer him is, in very fact, the truth-- pure and simple and from the Source of truth. Whenever I start thinking about, "How can I explain this so that they will understand?" Or I start thinking about trying to make something logical I just stop and smile and realize that I do not have to convince anyone or make anything appealing. What I am saying is the truth. The Spirit is there when I testify of truth. Oh I love that part of missionary work so much. I have always loved bearing my testimony.
Yesterday, our 13 year old investigator, Prisla, from the town far away (Degerfors) came to church with the wonderful member who lives out there too. He gives other people rides too. Anyway, she was nervous and excited and nervous. I tried to make it comfortable for her. Testimony meeting started and it was great. A few people bore wonderful testimonies. Leave it to Örebro församlingen. They are so incredible. But after about 3 people, there was a little break. I had already decided that if there was break that lasted longer than about 3 seconds before I heard someone else getting up, I would run up there. So, I did! I hadn't really wanted to when we walked in. I just didn't know what to say and the language is intimidating sometimes. So I got up there and started to just say truth. I said that I knew that Jesus Christ was my Savior and that this was Jesus Christ's Church and that I was so grateful to be a member of it. I said how grateful I was for the knowledge I have and then I just simply said, "The knowledge I have is: I have a loving Heavely Father, who is God, who loves me. I know that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that we have a prophet today and his name is Thomas S. Monson. I know that Jesus Christ leads this church through him. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." Something very close to that. Correct Swedish just came out of my mouth and I don't remember thinking about it. I remember looking out at the people in församlingen that I love and then just feeling the Spirit testify through me. It wasn't for me, it was for Prisla and for them. I find myself when I lose myself. Being a missionary helps me do that. I love it.
I think that I'll just be calling you. I think it will be at about 7 15 my time (we are teaching Norov that night from about 6-7). We also have Stake Conference next weekend! And we have a "mission tour" where a General Authority comes and a buch of missionaries go and listen to him. I get to see some of my district (MTC people)! I am excited. Eddie is doing great too. So great. He was in another city DJ-ing this weekend and he went to church in that city! On an hour of sleep! The sisters there helped him out with how to get there, but he went. He is so great. And a DJ. (ha just a little humor there)
Have a great week my little ninos. I wish you all a happy mother's day. All of you!! ha okay, just the Mothers. And the other women a half happy mothers day. I wish you an okay mothers day. ha Anyway! I love you all. No one guessed the song from the last e-mial. hm. ha Have a great week. Tell me about all your adventures (School over, Louiser, Maegan in Russia, the house, everything!). Thank you for your testimonies and for sharing them. I love love love you.
Love,
Syster Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment